St Salvator Chapel, Schwäbisch Gmünd
Robert Seidel: »Lithops«
An almost dreamlike interplay of shapes, colours and light emerges from the night-time darkness that enfolds St. Salvator Chapel in Schwäbisch Gmünd. Robert Seidel projects constantly changing, abstract, organic shapes onto the chapel's sandstone facade. Fragments of the relief carvings created by sculptor Caspar Vogt (1582-1646) are picked out as they dissolve into the mingling streams of light. Robert Seidel's video and light installations are dominated by the organic shapes of nature. The title of this work, Lithops, is also drawn from botany. The word describes a genus of plants that look like "living stones".
Born in 1977, Robert Seidel studied biology before graduating in Media Design at the Bauhaus University in Weimar. His work is deeply influenced by the way biology looks deeply into organic structures. His projections, installations and films combine elements of design, film and sculpture. His art forms are in a state of constant intermingling. Robert Seidel's works are on display at numerous international festivals and museums, incluidng the ZKM in Karlsruhe, the Nabi Art Center in Seoul and the MOCAH in Taipei. He works in Berlin and Jena as an artist, director and curator.
Starting behind the railway station in Gmünd, the Stations of the Cross path climbs past shrines and chapels with lifesize figures to a place of pilgrimage, St Salvator Chapel. Built between 1617 and 1621 by church architect Caspar Vogt, it is a natural chapel that is carved out of the cliffs. The lower and upper chapels were created from natural caves. At the front of the St Salvator plateau, visitors are treated to an amazing view over Schwäbisch Gmünd and the mountains of the Drei Kaiserberge.
73525 Schwäbisch Gmünd
Exterior open to visitors at all times